Wayne County Emergency Medical Services Award Recipients Announced at 3rd Annual Newark-Wayne Community Hospital EMS Awards
July 01, 2013
The 3rd annual Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Recognition awards at Newark-Wayne Community Hospital (NWCH) were held on Saturday, June 22nd. Held under a large tent on the north lawn of the campus, the event, that also included a family picnic, is the hospital’s annual opportunity to recognize and thank EMS providers with nine separate awards for individuals and one agency award.
Dr. Jamie Syrett, director of Prehospital Care and master of ceremonies remarked that, “These award recipients, represent the “best of the best.” He added, “We owe each of them and all of the providers so much for their care to patients each and every day.”
Mark Klyczek, president of Newark-Wayne Community Hospital and Jim Hoffman, chair of Wayne County Board of Supervisors and a member of the Newark-Wayne Board of Directors, both offered remarks about the hospital’s and Wayne County’s gratitude for the heroic efforts of the EMS providers who serve the people of Wayne County and the region.
“As a former EMT/firefighter, I understand the dedication and also sacrifices that these individuals and their families make every day,” said Klyczek. “The hospital and EMS agencies are partners in delivering the best care to our community.”
“I’m so proud and pleased to be able to honor the EMS who serve Wayne County and Newark-Wayne,” said Jim Hoffman. “I see and hear about examples of how you helped people in the community continually. For your dedication, many of you who are volunteers, I sincerely thank you,” he added.
Deborah Stamps, Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer, and Arun Nagpaul, M.D., Medical Director also assisted with the award presentations.
The award recipients included:
- Henry Dunphy, Basic Life Support Provider of the Year (Rose Ambulance)
- Paul Fera, Advanced Life Support Provider of the Year (Director of Operations, Lyons Ambulance)
- Joseph Verkey, Youth Provider of the Year (Newark-Arcadia Volunteer Ambulance)
- Paul Harkness, EMS Educator of Excellence (Director of Operations, Macedon town Ambulance)
- Darlene Catteau, EMS Communications Specialist of the Year (Wayne 911 Center)
- Jeremiah DeHond, R.N., Registered Nurse of Excellence (NWCH Emergency Department and Mercy Flight Central)
- Cynthia Martinez-Capolino, M.D., Physician of Excellence (Stroke Coordinator and Emergency Department Physician, Newark-Wayne Community Hospital)
- Eric Dierks, EMS Leadership Award (Walworth EMS and Wayne County Advanced Life Support (WCALS/911))
- Port Gibson Dire department, EMS Agency of the Year
- Ross Zastrow, Award of Excellence in EMS Activities (New York State Department of Emergency Medical Services)