MyCare - Patients: View your medical records securely online here.
Log in Learn More

Frequently Asked Questions

1.  What is the advantage of participating in a Program utilizing two large sites?

The clinical year is the professional component of your clinical laboratory science degree. It is your chance to maximize your exposure to a wide range of experiences! Rotating at two large state of the art laboratories presents a rich and unique opportunity to experience a tremendous range of clinical material both normal and abnormal, to see up to date instrument systems and more unusual testing modalities, and to be exposed to experienced and knowledgeable faculty at both sites. Small rotational groups within each Division still ensure individualized attention. Graduates are excellently prepared after such extensive education!  

2.  How does payment of tuition work?

Tuition currently stands at $5800 per year and books run around $700 for the entire year. For tuition, students who are 3+1 adhere to the arrangements preferred by their home college. Some colleges prefer their students to simply pay the Program directly. Other colleges prefer that the student pay tuition at their home college, and the Program bill the college. If there is a slight tuition balance after the Program is paid by the college, the student will pay the difference to the Program.

3.  When is tuition due?

Tuition bills are prepared in the fall (1/2) and mid-winter the following year (1/2). For instance, if the tuition is $5800.00, a bill for $2900.00 will be generated in September and another bill for $2900.00 will be generated in February.

4.  When does the Program start?

The program usually begins the first working Monday in August. Every few years the start date will be the second working Monday in August because the calendar progresses ahead each year; an adjustment needs to be made.Graduation takes place 51 weeks later, in July of the following year.

5.  Do students obtain final grades at the end of the program?

Yes. A final transcript is prepared with a grade for each major discipline. These transcripts are mailed to the college registrars on graduation day in July, and the clinical year is then posted on the student’s transcript, in fulfillment of degree requirements.

6.  When do students take the national certifying exam which is also the NYS licensure exam?

Students are eligible to take the ASCP Board of Certification exam after graduation from the Program. Most students will sit the exam within 1-6 weeks after finishing Program, although some wait a little longer if they have extenuating circumstances. We urge students to review thoroughly and sit the exam shortly after graduation.

7.  When can graduates start doing clinical work as Clinical Laboratory Technologists?

In New York State individuals must at least have the Limited Permit in order to do any clinical work as Technologists. The Limited Permit allows the individual to work as a Technologist until such time as a passing score on the Board of Certification exam (also used for NYS licensing exam) is submitted to NYS Dept of Education from the ASCP. The Limited Permit is good for one year only. The graduate must have their permanent License by that time. Any specific questions need to be directed to the NYS Department of Education, Office of the Professions. (www.op.nysed.gov).

8.  What are employment opportunities and outlook?

They are excellent. With increasing numbers of retirements, increased laboratory testing, and an aging population, the demand for qualified Clinical Laboratory Technologists is strong and projected to remain strong. Many graduates of our program elect to stay at Rochester General Hospital or within the Rochester health care community and build rewarding careers. Others join other health systems, attend graduate school, or join large instrument manufacturers/vendors, or biotechnology companies.

9.  What do BS holders do if they wish to apply?

Those who already hold a BS in the sciences must now matriculate at a college or university that will confer either a second BS in MT/CLS, or an advanced certificate of completion, upon them when they successfully complete the clinical year. Potential students in this situation should call and/or meet with the program adviser or director at the college or university under consideration. The college or university will then evaluate the student’s transcripts to determine what courses would be transferred in, and what courses would need to be taken in order for the student to be enrolled in the major. The student may contact the NYS Department of Education to find out which colleges or universities in NYS are deemed licensure-qualifying for MT/CLS. (518-474-3817 option 1, extension 150).


Visit our Clinical Laboratory Technology Program Facebook page to learn more about program, learn about the latest news and events, learn about others' experiences or find support for yourself.