Rochester residents enjoy an exceptional quality of life. We have the arts, sports and culture of a big city and the comfort and easy commutes of a small town.
There are activities to enjoy year round, from boating on Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes, to golfing at one of our 95 golf courses, and skiing at top-notch resorts. With 100-plus wineries in the Finger Lakes, it's no wonder we are known as the Napa Valley of the East.
As one of the nation's top 10 most affordable housing markets, you'll find vibrant neighborhoods, short commutes, fabulous restaurants, cultural activities, beautiful parks, thriving suburbs and picturesque village homes. It's where smart people live and work, and where innovation and creativity invent the future.
Our world-class cultural arts year-round:
Our unsurpassed private and public educational institutions include 15 of the country's finest colleges and universities, and public high schools ranked among the 100 Best High Schools in America.
Watch our video About Rochester to learn more about living here
Exceptional Quality of Life
- #1 in U.S. for Best Quality of Life - Expansion Management Magazine
- 3rd best metro region in the U.S. for raising a family - Forbes (2010)
- 4th most affordable city in U.S. - Forbes (2010)
- One of the "Top 10 U.S. Cities to Raise a Family" - Child Magazine
- A top 10 metro area with the best education opportunities - Forbes
- 3rd healthiest place for men to live - Men's Health
- 6th best place to live in America - Places Rated Almanac
- 7th among 225 metro areas for recreational amenities - Places Rated Almanac
- 7th cleaniest city in the U.S. - Reader's Digest
- 10th smartest city in the U.S. - Daily Beast (2010)
- One of the 10 "best places to vacation" - Money Magazine
- One of America's Most Innovative Cities - Forbes (2010)
- One of the Strongest Job Markets in U.S. - Bloomberg Businessweek (2010)
- 11th among 100 Metro Areas for "Least Stressful City" - Sperlings's Best Places
- Average daily commute time of 19.7 minutes - U.S. Census
- Ranked one of the nation's healthiest cities
- 16th among “20 best places to start over” – Bloomberg Businessweek (2010)
- One of top 10 Best Golf Cities in America
- 12th healthiest place for women in 100 biggest metro areas - Self Magazine