Mushroom poisoning happens when a child eats a mushroom that has poisons (toxins).
A child may pick and eat a mushroom while playing outdoors. Many types of mushrooms grow in the wild. Very few are poisonous. But those that are poisonous can be quite dangerous. Unless you are an expert, it’s hard to tell a poisonous mushroom from one that is not.
Early symptoms can include feeling sick, stomach cramps, vomiting, and watery or bloody diarrhea. If your child has any of these symptoms, call your healthcare provider or go to the nearest emergency department right away. All poisonous mushrooms cause vomiting and belly (stomach) pain.
The healthcare provider may talk with a mushroom expert to help figure out what type of mushroom your child ate. It’s important to collect the mushroom that your child was eating to help your provider figure out what type of mushroom it is.
The healthcare provider will check your child's vital signs and watch them closely for a period of time. He or she will look for severe symptoms and signs of complications of mushroom poisoning. The provider may give your child activated charcoal to cause vomiting, if it has not already occurred.
It is important to teach your child never to eat any mushrooms or plants while playing outdoors.
If you think your child ate a wild mushroom, call the poison control number (800-222-1222) right away. Or call your healthcare provider or go to the nearest emergency department.
If you can, collect the mushroom your child was eating. Carefully dig up a few mushrooms, including the roots, to help with the identification. If there is more than one kind of mushroom, collect all of them. If you go to the emergency department take the mushrooms you have collected.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your child’s healthcare provider: