Breast Cancer Diagnosis & Treatment
Breast Diagnostic Tests
If you've received an abnormal breast exam or screening, it's likely that you've been referred to us for further diagnosis and/or treatment. Rochester General Hospital Diagnostic Imaging, and other affiliate sites, can provide breast ultrasound and breast biopsies right in the office to further diagnose the abnormality.
Here are some of the most common tests used for breast cancer diagnosis and the screening of other breast disorders:
- Breast MRI
- Breast Ultrasound
- Ultrasound-Guided Breast Biopsy
- Stereotactic Breast Biopsy
- Computer Aided Detection (CAD)
Breast Treatments and Procedures
No matter what breast diagnosis that you may be facing, rest assured that you're in excellent hands. Our board-certified breast specialists are experts in breast cancer treatments as well as the treatment of other breast disorders. Even breast cancer is not the threat that it used to be because of the latest treatment options and skill of our breast team.
Below are the common breast cancer treatments and procedures used to treat breast disorders:
- Chemotherapy- use of drugs to kill bacteria, viruses, fungi, and cancer cells
- Radiation Therapy - Our team of nationally-recognized radiation oncologists offer state-of-the-art treatments including:
- Whole breast radiation
- Partial breast irradiation
- MammoSite® Radiation Therapy
- 3D Conformal Radiation
- Hormone Therapy - a medical treatment with a medication containing one or more female hormones, commonly estrogen plus progestin (synthetic progesterone), and sometimes testosterone
- Lumpectomy (Breast Lump Removal) - this procedure removes the cancer with a margin of normal tissue around it and some or all of the lymph nodes under the arm
- Mastectomy (Breast Removal) - removal of the entire breast and some or all of the lymph nodes under the arm
Breast Reconstruction - Plastic (Cosmetic) Surgery
Body image after breast cancer surgery is an important part of the road to recovery. Breast reconstruction surgery recreates the breast for women who have undergone breast removal due to cancer or other disease. Reconstruction can be done with implants or with natural tissue.
Our team of highly specialized plastic surgeons provide a compassionate approach to complex breast reconstruction surgery ranging from breast implants to free flaps. Our plastic surgeons have a high volume of experience in breast reconstruction procedures both immediate (at the same time as a mastectomy) and delayed (awhile after the mastectomy).
- Breast Reconstruction - Natural Tissue (also called "Free Flap Reconstruction") - using natural tissue, the breast is reshaped using muscle, skin, and fat from another part of your body
- Breast Reconstruction - Implants - a tissue expander is placed under your chest muscle and skin and a saline implant is inserted