Nurses Training School
The hospital’s primary focus was as a surgical hospital and a training school for homeopathic nurses. The two-year training program would later be extended to three years to provide the students hands on training in the community. The hospital’s staff of physicians provided weekly lectures and weekly quizzes and quarterly exams rounded out the academic course work.
The students’ twelve-hour workday centered on their academic studies and intensive clinical training in the patient wards. The student Nurses received a salary of nine dollars per month for the first year and eleven for the second. With the curriculum extended to three years, the salary became standardized at ten dollars per month. Five student Nurses graduated in the first class in 1900. The last graduating ceremonies would take place in 1926.