Home
MyCare - Patients: View your medical records securely online here.
Log in Learn More

Record Group 7

 

Record Group 7.1  Rochester City Hospital School of Nursing  ca. 1880-1911

8 boxes, 28 volumes (8 linear ft.)

Arranged by format.

Consists of student work & training logs (1880-1914); oath & signature book (1888-1923); annual reports (1904-65); Nursing Ed. Comm. minutes & materials (1948-64). Includes class materials (e.g. notes, books, exams, course outlines); RN exam results (1908-65); graduation programs, misc. (1883-1964); correspondence in re closing; alumnae reminiscences; oral histories; class scrapbooks (1883-1964); nursing scrapbooks (1925-52); and publications: Bulletin (1918-63), Streptococcus (1927-63), handbooks (1920-66), and misc. recruiting materials. Contains extensive photo documentation of uniforms, dorm life, on the job training, students, staff, etc. Also contains extensive collection of uniforms.

The Rochester City Hospital School of Nursing was established in 1880, the 12th training school for nurses in the country and 3rd in New York. From 4 members of the class of 1883 to 48 in the class of 1929, the school saw steady growth. In 1902, training was expanded from 2 years to 3 to include courses in anatomy, physiology, and materia medica. From 1880 to 1920s, the school supplied  nurses for the Hospital. In 1911, the school's name was changed when Rochester City became Rochester General Hospital.  

 

Record Group 7.2  Rochester General Hospital School of Nursing  ca. 1911-1965

20 boxes, 1 volumes (23 linear ft.)

Arranged by format.

Consists of student work & training logs (1880-1914); oath & signature book (1888-1923); annual reports (1904-65); Nursing Ed. Comm. minutes & materials (1948-64). Includes class materials (e.g. notes, books, exams, course outlines); RN exam results (1908-65); graduation programs, misc. (1883-1964); correspondence in re closing; alumnae reminiscences; oral histories; class scrapbooks (1883-1964); nursing scrapbooks (1925-52); and publications: Bulletin (1918-63), Streptoccus (1927-63), handbooks (1920-66), and misc. recruiting materials. Contains extensive photo documentation of uniforms, dorm life, on the job training, students, staff, etc. Also contains extensive collection of uniforms.

The Rochester General (then City) Hospital School of Nursing was established in 1880, changing its name in 1911. The school closed in 1964 in anticipation of the Hospital moving from its Westside location to a new campus in the northeast quadrant of the city. It was deemed economically unsound to move the nursing school, with the national pressures for moving nursing schools to colleges from hospitals. The school closed in 1964 with the graduation of the last class.

Record Group 7.3   Rochester General Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association   1896-1996.

12 boxes, 11 volumes (9 linear ft.)

Arranged alphabetically and chronologically.

Consists of secretary's minute books (1896-1962); secretary's reports (1965-88); president's agenda book (1969-86); secretary's correspondence (1945-68); president's correspondence (1964-68); treasurer's reports (1923-87) and audits (1932-1981); checking & savings books (1929-81); and membership books & rolls (1917-21). Also contains the Assoc. publication the "Alumnae Messenger (1921-35); and misc. historical background materials; scrapbooks and photographs.

The Nursing Alumnae Association was founded in 1896, when the 77 graduates of the training school, which had banded together in 1891 as a central registry where they could be contacted by doctors, decided to form the Alumnae Assoc. "for the purpose of maintaining a directory and for their own interest." The membership was active in the profession and the community. The Assoc. members were instrumental in gaining passage of the Armstrong bill in 1903, which placed all nursing schools under the state (and examined and registered qualified graduates). Members in 1906 founded the Nurses' Volunteer Benevolent Association to carry on free work among the poor, which was later replaced by the Visiting Nurse Service. The Assoc. remains active, including providing funds for nurses' training at the Hospital.