Rochester General Hospital: 1911
The name Rochester City Hospital had always been a misnomer because the Hospital was not a city project and was not supported by the city, a fact that led to some confusion and headaches. On January 1, 1911, with approval of the State Legislature, the directors changed the Hospital’s name to Rochester General Hospital, a more accurate designation. At this time, the Hospital campus, still located on West Main Street, consisted of 15 buildings that included a nurses' home, maternity building and a medical annex for patients with communicable diseases. Twelve of the buildings had been funded by George Eastman's gift.