Period of Expansion: 1946-1966
By 1946, with the exception of Strong Memorial, all of the community hospitals (Genesee, Highland, St. Mary's, Park Avenue and Rochester General) were concentrated in the heart of Rochester. Although half the city's residents lived north of Main Street, and suburban growth had expanded to the lakeshore, no hospital existed in that area. The Civic Committee and the Rochester Hospital Fund directors believed the need for a hospital on the north side of the city far outweighed the need to expand Rochester General at its downtown site.
Proposed site of North Park Hospital
In 1948, land was purchased at the intersection of Ridge Road East and Hudson Avenue in Irondequoit. The Hospital site was later changed to the Buell property at East Ridge Road and Portland Avenues because the Hudson Avenue land was unable to support a multi-storied structure.